Friday, October 23, 2009

Barbie



"I'm a Barbie Girl, In a Barbie world. Life is fantastic, wrapped in plastic" -  Aqua- "Barbie Girl" 


My last entry about shoe/ heel obsession got me thinking of what other obsessions I have, or have had... and yes, you guessed it... Barbie! 


I have two sisters, both younger, and both my parents grew up with brothers, therefore we grew up as a stereotypical girlie girls. Pink was my favorite color, I loved boy bands, I had a pair of 'dress up' heels and yep, I played with Barbies. 


Personally, I believe playing with Barbie is a great way for children to use their imagination and to better 'practice' communication. I know that there are many discussions around Barbie and body issue, however, I don't have abnormal issues with my body, apart from thinking that I have fat thighs (but who doesn't?) 



Barbie has been there for girls for over 50 years. She was in a long term relationship with Ken for over 43 years. Ken and Barbie were like Peanut Butter and Jam (aka Jelly), Lindsay Lohan and Partying, Spaghetti and Meatballs, they went hand-in-hand. Barbie also got pregnant, had a family, a dog/ cat, had a tone of BFF's, a Porche, Celebrity friends (inc. Spice Girls & Britney Spears) and had the most amazing closet!! Oh, and did I mention that Barbie is now dating a guy named Blaine who happens to be Australian! You go girl!! 


I  have so many Barbies (approx 50+) including 4 Ken's, Geri Spice, Sporty Spice, Baby Spice, Britney Spears, Cinderella, her siblings (Stacie, Kelly and Krissy), her friends (Teresa, Kelly, and Tracy), Mermaid Barbie, Gymnast Barbie and many, many more! They are all stored in a box in the garage (we don't exactly have a basement or attic). Crazy right?!


But the funniest thing happened, I was having a conversation with my boy regarding Barbies, when he sheepishly confessed that he has a box... or two... of GI Joes stored in his garage. Could it be possible for Barbie and GI Joe to meet? 



"GI JOE And Barbie, sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes Love, second comes Marriage, third comes Triplets all in a carriage."





When I visited NYC in April last year, I dropped into Toy World in Times Square. Once I walked into the Barbie section I wouldn't leave, until my bf dragged me out kicking and screaming. It was Barbie heaven! I believe that you never truly can out grow your Barbie collection. Look at Paris Hilton- she is rumored to be playing Barbie in an upcoming movie. How classic!


Barbie has made millions out of merchandise, cars, clothes, houses, movies and other Barbie branded products. I think I also had the Barbie books. 


I truly can say that I idolize Barbie in some way or another. Not in a sickly copy-her-style way, but rather in an appreciate-what-you've-been-through kinda way. 


When I have girls I will definitely be bringing out my Barbie's for them to play with, and if I have boys.... well, I guess my boy had better dust off his GI Joe collection. 


I hope this inspires you to dust off your Barbie's or at least add a little bit of hot pink to your everyday outfit. I think we all need a little bit of Barbie in our lives!


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin